IRWIN Tools to Say “THANKS” to America’s Tradesmen at Bristol and Beyond
IRWIN Tools Night Race Weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway Kicks Off National Tradesmen Day Activities
HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (Aug. 21, 2013) – With the summer classic IRWIN® Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway (BMS) just days away, IRWIN Tools has a number of initiatives planned across the country to celebrate professional tradesmen for their skill and contributions, beginning with a salute to “America’s Real Working Hands” at NASCAR’s most popular event, and culminating with the third annual National Tradesmen Day on Sept. 20.
IRWIN Tools is serious about honoring trade professionals, and is proud to announce their race related activities planned to honor and thank the country’s tradesmen, who roll up their sleeves every day to ensure that our lives continue to work — oftentimes without recognition or appreciation from society. These hardworking men and women are the backbone of our country, and IRWIN wants to say “THANKS.”
- Throughout race weekend, IRWIN and BMS officials will build awareness for National Tradesmen Day, which is set for Friday, Sept. 20, 2013.
- As a special tribute, IRWIN will honor tradesman, John Teeples from Columbus, GA. John will be IRWIN’s esteemed guest during the race weekend representing the millions of Americans who use their bare hands and their skills in a trade to play a vital role in their communities. John will be honored during pre-race festivities, and will then join 300 additional tradesmen to serve as grand marshal for the race.
- In an exclusive opportunity, 300 professional tradesmen from across the country will serve as the IRWIN Tools Night Race Grand Marshals, led by tradesman John Teeples. At the base of the track’s turn four, these individuals will give drivers the command to “start your engines.”
- IRWIN will again recognize and thank the 24 men and women of the Bristol Operations team, the Tradesmen of the Track, whose work makes the Night Race possible. IRWIN has dedicated a web page, videos, track announcements and signage to recognizing the efforts of this group who will be wearing customized “Real Working Hands of Bristol Motor Speedway” shirts throughout the race weekend. IRWIN encourages race fans to show their appreciation for the efforts of this team when they see them around the track.
- IRWIN will distribute National Tradesmen Day information and banners throughout Bristol’s campgrounds as part of the “Get Caught Camping with IRWIN” campaign. The campsite that does the best job showing support for America’s tradesmen will win the grand prize – an assortment of IRWIN tools and a private tour of the Fox Sports 1 stage with Jeff Hammond, a former championship crew chief who is now a Fox Sports television commentator.
- IRWIN has also given away more than 1000 grandstand tickets to tradesmen on jobsites in hopes they can experience The World’s Fastest Half-Mile and show the brand’s appreciation for the contributions they make every day to America.
“The IRWIN Tools Night Race provides us with a powerful platform to recognize the efforts of America’s professional tradesmen, many of whom are NASCAR fans,” said Rich Wuerthele, President of IRWIN Tools. “America’s tradesmen are electricians, plumbers, welders, drywall installers, framers, masons, carpenters, auto mechanics, and more. We see them all around us, every single day. They are our nation’s real working hands and they deserve our appreciation. We look forward to honoring them at the IRWIN Tools Night Race and we encourage the public to join us in celebrating National Tradesmen Day on September 20.”
“IRWIN shares our commitment of making this event the best race in NASCAR for our loyal fans, many of whom are tradesmen,” adds Jerry Caldwell, Executive Vice President & General Manager of Bristol Motor Speedway. “We are honored to stand beside them and say ‘thanks’.”
To learn more about National Tradesmen Day on Sept. 20, 2013, visit www.nationaltradesmenday.com. Practice and qualifying for the IRWIN Tools Night Race is set for this Friday, and the race gets the green flag Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Denny Hamlin is the race’s defending champion. For ticket information, visit www.bristolmotorspeedway.com or call 866-415-4158.
About IRWIN Tools
IRWIN Tools manufactures and distributes a broad line of hand tools and power tool accessories under the IRWIN® brand including VISE-GRIP® pliers and wrenches, MARATHON® saw blades, QUICK-GRIP® clamping tools, SPEEDBOR® wood drilling bits, STRAIT-LINE® marking tools, UNIBIT® step drill bits, MARPLES® fine woodworking tools, and HANSON® taps and dies. IRWIN Tools is a part of Newell Rubbermaid’s global portfolio of leading brands. For more information, call 1-800-GO-IRWIN or visit www.irwin.com. IRWIN invites the nation to celebrate National Tradesmen Day, on Sept. 20, 2013.
About John Teeples
John Teeples is a professional tradesman from Columbus, GA. He owns a contracting company, John Teeples Construction, which serves west-central Georgia and east-central Alabama. With over 30 years of building experience, John has built houses, schools, stores, offices, arenas, parks, churches and more. His passion for his work never wanes, and he recognizes the important role tradesmen play in our society. John’s many contributions to his community also include fundraising and building projects that help our nation’s veterans.
About Bristol Motor Speedway
Bristol Motor Speedway is a NASCAR short track venue located in Bristol, Tennessee. Constructed in 1960, it held its first NASCAR race on July 30, 1961. The IRWIN Tools Night Race at Bristol is among the most popular sporting events in America, and has been consistently voted the favorite race by NASCAR fans and drivers year after year. Racing at Bristol is a spectacle to behold with its extraordinarily steep banking, concrete surface, two pit roads and stadium-like seating that can host up to 150,000 fans.
About Speedway Motorsports, Inc.
Speedway Motorsports is a leading marketer and promoter of motorsports entertainment in the United States. The Company, through its subsidiaries, owns and operates the following premier facilities: Atlanta Motor Speedway, Bristol Motor Speedway, Charlotte Motor Speedway, Sonoma, Kentucky Speedway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, New Hampshire Motor Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway. The Company provides souvenir merchandising services through its SMI Properties subsidiaries; manufactures and distributes smaller-scale, modified racing cars and parts through its U.S. Legend Cars International subsidiary; and produces and broadcasts syndicated motorsports programming to radio stations nationwide through its Performance Racing Network subsidiary. The Company also equally-owns Motorsports Authentics, a joint venture formed with International Speedway Corporation to produce, market and sell licensed motorsports merchandise. For more information, visit the Company's website at www.speedwaymotorsports.com.